Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of BartolomeoBartolomeo
    Participant
    #192 |

Has anyone experience recovering SV3 wave glider inside a little harbour? In order to avoid using a ship, equipped with a crane, we are studying a solution to tow the WG inside it. Let me briefly explain our idea. The submerged part of WG should be pulled up by a rope taking it on the surface and hunging it to a balloon.After this both glider and surf should be towed inside a little harbour for an easier successive recovery (from the quay for example).
    I don’t know if I have made myself clear enought. Do you think that could be a practical solution?

Profile photo of Andreas J. HäuslerAndreas J. Häusler
    Keymaster
    #202 |

Hi Bartolomeo,

Yes indeed: we did something similar when testing our SV3 Waveglider at PLOCAN’s facilities in Gran Canaria. After the mission finished, we pulled it into the harbor tied at the side of a RIB. Quayside, we had a truck stationed—the same one that was used to take the Waveglider to and from the harbor—whose crane was big enough to pull the Waveglider out of the water. At high tide, there was still a difference of about 1.5 meters between the water surface and the dock, plus another maybe 1.7 meters for the truck’s cargo area, and it worked flawlessly.

As for your balloon question: you’ll probably need divers to attach a rope/balloon. In our case, we just waited for the high tide, which left us with enough water between sub and harbor bottom to safely tow the vehicle.

Cheers,

Andreas

Profile photo of BartolomeoBartolomeo
    Participant
    #203 |

Thank you very much Andreas for your interesting information.
    We are not sure we have a bottom deep enough inside the harbour (also with high tide), but we’ll check for it.
    As for balloon we would like to try out attaching it to sub by mean the ‘recovery device with lift strap’ without diver..

Cheers,
    Bartolomeo

Profile photo of Andreas J. HäuslerAndreas J. Häusler
    Keymaster
    #204 |

Hi Bartolomeo,

We briefly thought about using the “recovery device with lift strap”, too, but the problem is that, once the RIB was close enough to our Waveglider, the resulting angle made it impossible to reach the umbilical with the hook.

In case you work out a solution to this problem, please post it here, maybe even with pictures.

Thanks,

Andreas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.